Saturday, October 30, 2010

Mission Accomplished +Saw VII Review

I had to drive all the way to Grove City but I've finally managed to see Saw in 2D! I'm exhausted as all get out but I'll try to make a review.

This is my first attempt at a movie review so bear with me. Also, bear in mind that I saw the 2D version so I may have lost some of the effect. Lastly, I've been a Saw fangirl from the start so there may be some annoying squeeing and quiet sobbing over this being the last installment in the franchise. Here we go:

WARNING: Spoilers ahead!

I went into the theater with high expectations, what with this being the end of an era, and I'm happy to say that, for this avid fan, the finale delivered. The traps were bigger, badder and bloodier than before.

The film opens with clips from the first ever Saw, to fill in any gaps for newbies, and then a quick addition showing Gordon outside the bathroom for the first time in 6 years. Then comes the first trap. For anyone not immersed in the Saw universe, let me enlighten you; The first trap begins it all. It sets the tone for the entire movie. From the looks of this first trap, we may just have the best Saw ever on our hands.

The table saw trap. This is Saw's first trap set outside making it that much more interesting to watch. This exhibition is also attended by on Billie, who is far and away the most likable character in the franchise. Without spoiling it for you, let me just say: The pay off of this scene is well worth it and had a few members of the audience cheering.

This is when we first see what's become of Jill and Hoffman. We also meet our new hero, Matt Gibson (played by Chad Donella of Final Destination fame.)

A few scenes later we meet Bobby Dagen. (Played by Sean Patrick Flannery of The Boondock Saints fame) Unfortunately, by the end of his first scene hubby and I had already figured out his twist. So when he's kidnapped outside an survivor's group therapy meeting, also attended by one Lawrence Gordon, I wasn't even bothered. (Also, it's pretty fun to pick out trap survivors from the meeting.) Although I must admit I was sucked into his storyline more than I expected.

This is also around the time that the second plotline, involving a trap in a junkyard, is introduced. Skipping over this to keep the review short, I must point out that the shots of the body bags being wheeled into the morgue clued me into that twist too. Maybe I just know the writers that well now ;P

So basically over the next 40 minutes or so Bobby goes through his tests without much success and finds himself at the end, in front of his wife who's chained to a strange metal platform. (What could this possibly be?) This is when Jigsaw confronts him with the same trap that he's allegedly survived once before. At this point Bobby pierces his pectorals with the hooks in front of him. Long story short (Too late.) He fails. Remember that platform Bobby's wife was on earlier? It's a collapsible incinerator. Yes you read that right. Bonus points for creativity. Lose points for recycling the use of incinerators.

After the end of Bobby's plotline is the payoff of the Jill/Hoffman/Gibson plotline. Jill is ultimately ended by the already familiar reverse bear trap. This time it's the real deal, Amanda's trap from Saw 1, not the remake used on Hoffman, because, as we all know, remakes suck. ;D

Finally, it's time to see what becomes of Hoffman. After blowing up the warehouse he'd been operating out of, Hoffman is taken down by three cloaked figures in the ever present Pig mask. One of the figures removes his borrowed pig face (which, for some reason, reminds me of Pavi from Repo! The Genetic Opera) and *gasp!* it's Dr. Gordon! (This really should have been expected, considering that Cary Elwes was billed as a star and had only appeared for about 3 whole minutes prior to this, but nonetheless I let out a shocked fangirly gasp and silently cheered that we were finally witnessing Gordon's revenge.) In the final scene Hoffman awakens in the now utterly familiar Bathroom set chained to a pipe next to Adam's rotted corpse. He reaches for a handsaw, feet away, knowing what he has to do, only to have it snatched away by Lawrence and flipped into the hall in a manner that probably would have looked awesome in 3D.

The last shot we're left with in the series is Dr. Lawrence Gordon giving us the final "game over", closing the door, mirroring the man who'd been dead on the floor for an hour and a half in the first film and was simply known as Jigsaw.

This is how the franchise ends. Still leaving questions in it's wake: What became of Gordon's wife and daughter?  What happened to Daniel from Saw II? What about Corbett from III? Or the two survivors from VI? And possibly the biggest question of all:
Who were the other two piggies?

Discuss!

1 comment:

  1. I can't read this one because I haven't seen it yet, but I said I'd comment on every one, so....


    I enjoy the Saw movies.

    BOOM. Commented.

    ReplyDelete